Tuesday, April 30, 2013

DIY: Lace Shorts

 I had an old pair of jeans that were oil stained that I was going to turn into shorts for this summer. I didn't want the same old cut off look (I have a ton of cut off's already) So I decided to add some lace to the hem. I am on a huge lace kick right now! It is so dainty and quite darling.




So here is the how-to for some cute flirty summer shorts!

1. Start with a pair of cut off's*. Measure around the edge of the cutoff's and add 1". This measurement is how much lace you will cut to sew on your shorts. Cut two of these (since you do have two leg holes!)


2. Fold the edges of the lace under a small bit. You don't have to measure unless you want to. I just eyeballed it. Pin one folded edge to the INSIDE seam of  the leg. That way nobody will see where your lace starts and overlaps.


3.Pin the lace to the RIGHT side of the cutoff edge. Sew about a quarter inch seam allowance. (Depending on how wide your lace is will determine how wide your seam allowance will be. I had 1" wide lace, so I used a very scant eighth of an inch)
 


4. Turn the edge you just sewed under, so the seam allowance is facing UP. Top stitch close to the edge, about a quarter inch (or less if you have thinner lace)


One finished pant leg
5. Repeat with the second leg and TA-DA!! You have your own lace shorts!



I have gotten so many compliments on these beauties. Lace is semi-vogue right now, but I have yet to see something like this on the racks!

Kisses and lots of southern love!
~Emma

*If you aren't sure how to make a pair, lay a pair of pants on a flat surface and measure from the cuff of one leg UP the desired amount (Remember: the more you cut off, the shorter your cut off's will be. Unless you want to walk around lookin' like Skanky Frannie, less is always more!) Once you have measured and marked the desired length of your shorts, simply cut straight across. See? Super simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment