Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What "The Weatherman" taught me

Now when I say Weatherman, I'm not referring to the chipper, perky guy who gives you the daily weather report. I'm talking about the movie "The Weatherman", with Nicolas Cage. Yeah, long story short the movie was HORRENDOUS! I had to watch it for my film class I'm taking this semester and I did not enjoy the movie at all. I'm ashamed to admit that I even watched that movie.

The whole movie was basically about this guy trying to pull his life together. And how he failed each and every time. The whole movie was depressing and very secular. The characters often swore (their favorite being the f-bomb *shudder*) and the whole movie was just a depressing outlook on life. I didn't even finish the movie. I just took my headphones out and let the movie finish playing my laptop and messed around on Pinterest.

But there was one thing that I thought of. There is a sign that hangs on my wall with the verse Phillipians 4:8. It reads:

"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."

I was struck with the thought, was the movie I just watched worthy of praise? Ummm, no!! I felt so depressed and hopeless after watching the movie, I wanted to go to bed. (And it is was only one in the afternoon, so I couldn't) One thing Momma has always told my brothers and I is we need to be watching things that are wholesome, uplifting and will give us something positive to think about and apply to our lives. I never really took to heart what Momma was saying. I never had an interest in seeing all the latest PG-13 or R rated movies. I have always been picky about what I watch because I don't want to waste my time watching a dumb movie. However, after watching that movie, I realized the importance of what she had been saying. I don't want to watch junk that will pollute my mind and soul as the Temple of the Holy Spirit. How can I say that I am a follower of Christ, yet continually pollute my mind with garbage that overflows into my life and speech? I can't!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that if you are a Christian you should never watch any movies that aren't VeggieTales squeaky clean. I'll be the first to admit, I love DC Comic and Marvel based movies. I cannot wait for the next Batman to come out! Watch what you are comfortable with and don't watch what you feel convicted not to.

Just some food for thought.

~Emma

1 comment:

  1. This is soooooo true, Emma. I often feel that way with music, its pleasing to the ear..but not praise worthy!

    Your Friend,
    Mylena

    ReplyDelete